Monday, August 24, 2009

Question of the Week: Unemployed Ladderball Players: Do They Have an Unfair Advantage?

With Labor Day right around the corner I think this question is quite fitting. Long time Ladderball Weekly reader and avid ladderball player Madison writes "Should unemployed individuals be permitted to participate in ladderball tournaments due to their extreme availability to practice?"

Great question Madison. Thanks for writing in and questioning the system. I take it you must have a job. As an unemployed ladderball player myself this topic hits pretty close to home. I think unemployed people should not only be allowed to participate in ladderball tournaments but they should be able to win them as well. I think the B-Team (both members are currently unemployed) proved that on August 8th. So I think the real question you're getting at is "Did the B-Team have an unfair advantage being unemployed? Did they have too much time to practice for the Ladderball Open? Should they relinquish their crowns? " No, no and of course not.

The B-Team did not have an unfair advantage over the competition except for maybe home-field advantage. We did not have too much time to practice either. First of all, I think there is something called too much practice. Ladderball is a simple game and you can definitely overthink it. But that didn't happen to us. We didn't overthink or overpractice the game. My teammate TJ engages in many activities other than ladderball. He enjoys spending his days fishing and bodysurfing. What's that you ask? What other hobbies do I have? Well for starters, having just mastered Wii Mario Kart I have moved on to playing a lot of online games of FIFA 09. Also this blog does not write itself. But the truth of the matter is I don't need to do anything but play ladderball. I am hoping that one day the professional sports world will recognize ladderball as a legitimate sport. And that's when I get a job. Now I'm not exactly sure when this will happen. I might be too old to play the game and will have to resort to being a manager or coach but that's alright as long as I'm still involved. So think of me playing a lot of ladderball right now as building my resume for a job interview in the near or possibly distant future. I'm like a modern day Tom Joad if he had played ladderball.

Ladderball Weekly wants to know what your thoughts are on this highly controversial topic.



8 comments:

  1. Maybe the B-Team will be in luck and Obama will put together an stimulus package for aspiring unemployed ladder ball players.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How come my comment I made on Saturday about kicking the B-Teams ass got deleted!?!?!?

    I guess the truth will be told come sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The B team is overrated, the only reason they won the championship was because the team they played against in the finals wasnt any good. This time they wont have a free pass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In a strange turn of events before the first annual tourny of the season a superstar ladder ball player by the name of johnny Blumpkin got fed up with the crowds and moved to hawaii. He still on hiatus agrees to disagree with the current world champs. Is there any way that they can be called interum untill a tournement that he has confirmed playing in. I am not a fan of his infact his smile and laugh imploy me but fair is fair.


    I will play well this season when needed. arr arr arr woof woof......get em dogg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since the tourny is being played "Labor Day" weekend and Labor Day celebrates the "workers" I think only folks that actually work should play.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To inform the simple minded: in order to collect unemployment, one must have been employed for a lengthy period of time, and must be "let go" as opposed to quitting their job to be eligible for benefits. We may not be able to control the economy, but we can "work" the system

    ReplyDelete
  8. But the point is currently you are not working that is, getting up everyday to go to a place at a certain time to perform a certain function that you receive payment for and so you should not be celebrating Labor Day! Granted collecting unemployment is difficult i mean having to wait for your check to be deposited or worrying the state runs out of money or the impending doom of knowing one day that check won't come is stressful but it does not constitute "work"!

    ReplyDelete